Is your NYC or Long Island school FERPA compliant?
Are your students’ records secure?
What Is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) refers to the federal law protecting the privacy of students’ educational records. Every school that receives funds from the U.S. Department of Education is required to follow FERPA rules, or incur a harsh penalty. If you’re a law firm working with a school district, this rule also applies to you. Any business that works with a school organization needs to make sure that they’re abiding by FERPA rules. We provide nuanced expertise by administering FERPA compliance assessments, so you never have to worry about falling behind. Protecting student records at an educational institution from data breaches and hackers is crucial for complying with FERPA.
Protect your students' data.
Make sure you are meeting all FERPA guidelines.
Who Does FERPA Impact?
FERPA allows parents certain rights to their children’s education records. When students turn 18, they become “eligible students” and have the rights transferred to them.
- Parents and eligible students to have the right to inspect and review their education records. Schools may charge a fee for viewing copies of their record.
- Parents and students are allowed to request an adjustment to school records if they believe they are inaccurate or misleading. If a school chooses to dismiss this request, the parent or eligible student has a right to a formal hearing.
- Schools require written permission from the parent or the eligible student to release their information unless under specific circumstances, including:
- School officials with a legitimate educational interest
- The student is transferring schools, and the new school needs their record
- Accrediting organizations
- Financial aid parties
- State or local authorities
- Schools may disclose directory information, but only after telling the parents or eligible student and allowing sufficient time to deny the motion.
Is Your School FERPA Compliant?
If you’re concerned that the school or organization you represent isn’t operating under the proper FERPA guidelines, our team provides the comprehensive service to ensure total compliance that will help your organization avoid fines and punishment. See how our team of dedicated experts can make your life with dealing with compliance laws easier.